Ramsay Grove Plantation Black River Georgetown County
- Location Black River, Georgetown County
1012 Ramsey Grove Road - approximately seven miles north of Georgetown
- Origin of name Possibly named Ramsay Grove by James Anderson as a memorial to his uncle's wife Mary Ramsay. Click here to see a picture of Mary (3).
- Other names Ramsey
- Current status ?
- 1731 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 485)
William Hinckley received a grant for 500 acres (1, p. 485).
- 1738 Hinckley sold the land to Daniel and Thomas LaRoche (1, p. 485).
- 1750 Isaac Carr purchased the property from LaRoche (1, p. 486).
- 1763 Carr sold the land to Dr. Charles Fyffe. Fyffe also purchased an adjoining 325 acres of a 500 acre land grant John White received in 1733 (1, pp. 485-486).
- 1771 House built (1, p. 487)
Dr. Fyffe and his heiress wife Ann Rowe built a house at the plantation (1, p. 487).
- 1782 Fyffe remained loyal to the British crown and was about to be deported. He filed a petition with the South Carolina legislator in protest noting his care and treatment of wounded Patriots at a refugee hospital in Charleston. Fyffe was not deported, nor all his land confiscated, instead he was fined 12% of his estate (1, p. 487).
- 1786 James Anderson purchased the plantation from Fyffe. Anderson was the first to legally call the property Ramsay Grove Plantation (1, p. 487).
- 1820 James Anderson died and his son Richard Oswald Anderson inherited the plantation. Richard was very successful at growing rice at Ramsay Grove (1, p. 488).
- 1852 Anderson died while visiting his sister in Bath, England. The executors of his estate sold the plantation to Edward Percy Guerard (1, p. 488).
- 1875 Guerard was able to hold onto Ramsay Grove through the Civil War and continued to farm the plantation with freedmen. In 1875, the sheriff foreclosed on the property and it was sold to Joshua W. LaBruce for repayment of the outstanding mortgage (1, p. 488).
- 1884 LaBruce also lost Ramsay Grove to mortgage foreclosure. Mary F. Ladson purchased the property (1, p. 488).
- 1885 Ladson sold the plantation to Elizabeth C. LaBruce, the widow of Joshua (1, p. 488).
- 1894 Elizabeth willed the plantation to her son J.L. LaBruce (1, p. 488) (4).
- 1894 Oliver Brightman Skinner purchased the plantation from LaBruce (1, p. 488).
The plantation passed through several hands after the death of Skinner (1, p. 488).
- 1920 The Ramsey Gun Club owned the plantation and changed the spelling from Ramsay (1, p. 488).
- 1963 A corporation based in South Carolina purchased the plantation. The timber and farmland was under professional management with the house used for business meetings (1, p. 488).
- Number of acres 500 in 1731; 825 in 1763; 1,200 in 1963 (1)
- Primary crop Indigo and rice (1, p. 486)
- Number of slaves 384 in 1850 (1, p. 488)
References & Resources
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- Information contributed by Ann Bell.
- Information contributed by Nancy Hart Shepack, a LaBruce family descendant.