Strawberry Hill Plantation Georgetown Georgetown County
- Location Waccamaw River, Georgetown, All Saints Parish, Georgetown County
Original plantation lands were located on the Waccamaw Neck off US 17.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Trapier Tract, Belle Voir
- Current status Owned by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation as part of Hobcaw Barony which is open to the public for guided tours.
- 1718 John, Lord Carteret, one of the Lords Proprietors, claimed 12,000 acres and called it Hobcaw Barony (4, p. 3).
- 1730 Lord Carteret sold the property to John Roberts for £500.
John Roberts sold the land to three men: Sir William Baker, Nicholas Linwood, and Brice Fisher. The three men appointed two agents to sell off the land. Hobcaw Barony would eventually be divided into many plantations (4, p. 3).
- 1767 Benjamin Trapier purchased 1,515 acres of Hobcaw Barony (4, p. 17).
- 1781 Benjamin Trapier provided 300 barrels of rought rice for the Patriot cause during the Revolutionary War. He also hired out his slaves to work on the fortifications around Charleston (4, p. 17).
- 1784 William Burnett owned the plantation. He may have bought it in 1782 at the death of Benjamin Trapier.
At this time Burnett divided the property into two tracts and sold them. The northern tract was sold to Peter Foissin who named it Friendfield, and the southern tract, consisting of 746½ acres, was sold to Edward Martin.
Edward Martin's wife, Elizabeth Trapier Martin, named the plantation Belle Voir which means "beautiful view" in French (4, p. 18).
- 1786 Edward Martin died and his brother, John Martin, inherited the plantation.
- 1791 John Martin died and his son, John Petit Martin, inherited the property.
- 1792 John Petit Martin sold the plantation to James O'Hear (4, p. 18).
- ? Robert Kirkpatrick owned the plantation.
- 1804 Belle Voir was sold at public auction to settle a suit against the estate of Robert Kirkpatrick. John Ashe Alston appears to be the buyer (4, p. 18).
- 1831 By this time John Ashe Alston had sold Belle Voir, now called Strawberry Hill, to his father Colonel William Alston. Colonel Alston was in the habit of buying plantations to give to his sons when they turned twenty-one years of age (4, p. 18).
- ? Thomas Alston, one of the Colonel's sons, appears to have received Strawberry Hill.
- 1839 Colonel William Alston owned Strawberry Hill. It is not clear how or why he obtained it from his son.
In his will, Colonel Alston leaves Strawberry Hill to his daughters Rebecca Brewton Hayne and Mary Pringle. Their nephew, John Ashe Alston, bought the plantation (this is a different John Ashe Alston from the one mentioned above) (4, p. 19).
- 1851 John Ashe Alston sold Strawberry Hill to his nephew, William Algernon Alston (4, p. 20).
- 1867 William Algernon Alston died leaving his plantation to Thomas Pinckney Alston, Jr.
- 1868 The division of William Algernon Alston's property ended up in court to be divided more equitably (4, p. 20).
- 1874 All of William Algernon Alston's property was sold to Hardy Solomon. The sale included five plantations: Marietta, Friendfield, Strawberry Hill, Calais, and Michau.
- 1875 Eliza Donaldson purchased the property and called the whole thing Friendfield. The Donaldson family continued to plant rice on the plantations.
- 1905 All of the plantations comprising Friendfield Plantation were sold to Bernard M. Baruch. Upon hearing the history of the original Hobcaw Barony, Baruch began acquiring the plantations that had been created from the Barony. He called all of his property Hobcaw Barony using the original name.
- 1935-1943 Bernard M. Baruch conveyed most of Hobcaw Barony to his daughter, Belle Wilcox Baruch (1, p. 42).
- 1956 Belle Baruch created the Bernard M. Baruch Foundation to manage the barony as an educational center focusing on forestry and marine science (4, p. 54).
- 1964 Belle Baruch died and her father decided to change the name of the foundation to the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. The foundation still exists today and continues to provide educational opportunities in wildlife conservation and research (1, p. 42).
- Number of acres 1,515 in 1767; 746½ in 1784
- Primary crop Rice
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1994
Photographs, architectural overview
- History of Hobcaw Barony: Click here
- Alberta Morel Lachicotte, Georgetown Rice Plantations (Georgetown, SC: Georgetown County Historical Society, 1993)
Order Georgetown Rice Plantations
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- Belle W. Baruch Foundation
22 Hobcaw Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Website: Click here