Stony Point Plantation Greenwood Greenwood County
- Location Greenwood, Greenwood County
Seven miles northeast of Greenwood on Coronaca-Cokesbury Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned by a descendant of founder William Smith (3)
- 1808 Earliest known date of existence
William Smith founded a post office, the second in Greenwood County, at the site of Stony Point. Smith also founded a store at Stony Point (1, p. 2-3).
- 1818-1829 House built
William Smith began construction of the house (1, p. 2-3).
- 1824 William Smith died before the house was completed. His son, Joel Smith, purchased Stony Point from his father's estate and finished construction of the house (1, p. 3).
- 1855 David Wyatt Aiken married Joel Smith's daughter and would own the plantation after Smith's death in this year (1, p. 2, 5).
- 1975 Donald Hawthorne was owner of record (1, p. 1).
- 2002 John and Missy Lowery purchased Stoney Point and completed a renovation of the house. Missy's sixth great-grandfather, William Smith, established the plantation (3).
- Number of slaves Joel Smith owned 78 slaves (1, p. 3)
- The house is of Flemish-bond brick construction. The foundations of the original kitchen and carriage house remain on the property (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1975
Photographs, architectural overview
- Carl Thomas Julien, Beneath so Kind a Sky,: The Scenic and Architectural Beauty of South Carolina, Photos
(Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1947)
Order Beneath so Kind a Sky,: The Scenic and Architectural Beauty of South Carolina, Photos
- Information contributed by Missy Lowery whose sixth great-grandfather, William Smith, founded the plantation.