Longwood Plantation Murrells Inlet Horry County
Much of the information on this page was contributed by J. Benjamin Burroughs of Conway, South Carolina. Ben was formerly the Executive Director of the Horry County Historical Society.
- Location Waccamaw River, Murells Inlet , All Saint's Parish, Horry County
Original plantation lands were located in the vicinity of Longwood Drive off SC 707.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Part of the orginal lands are now the Blackmoor Golf Course.
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list P.W. Fraser and John Green, Joshua John Ward, Mayhem Ward and Benjamin Huger Ward
- Number of slaves In 1850, Joshua John Ward owned 1,092 slaves. He owned six plantations. A portion of those slaves would have been at Longwood in Horry County. However, since Ward lived in Georgetown County his Longwood slaves are listed in the Georgetown County Slave Schedules.
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1970).