White Hall Plantation - Jasper County South Carolina SC

White Hall Plantation – Grahamville – Jasper County

White Hall Plantation Avenue of Oaks 2014 - Jasper County, South Carolina
— White Hall Plantation Avenue of Oaks © Gazie Nagle, 2014 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

Basic Information

  • Location – Euhaw Creek, Grahamville, St. Luke's Parish, Jasper County

  • Origin of name – ?

  • Other names – ?

  • Current status – Now part of Good Hope

  • Special note – There is another White Hall Plantation in nearby Colleton County. Both White Hall plantations were owned by the Heyward family. At one time, Heyward brothers owned the plantations and then cousins as the plantations were willed to their sons.


  • 1750 – Earliest known date of existence

  • 1771-1776 – House built (1, p. 5)

    Daniel Heyward Sr or Jr. constructed the house at White Hall (1, p. 15)

  • 1778 – Daniel Heyward Jr. passed away and owned White Hall at the time of his death. His wife Margaret continued to live at the plantation after her husband's death (1, p. 15)

  • 1779 – The house was damaged by a fire set by the Tories during the Revolutionary War (3, p. 171).

  • ? – Daniel and Margaret's son, Thomas Heyward Jr., signer of the Declaration of Independence, became owner (1, p. 15).

  • 1786-1791 – The house was enlarged by Thomas Jr. and his second wife Elizabeth Savage (1, p. 5, 15 and 3, p.173)

  • 1809 – Thomas Heyward Jr. passed away. His son, Captain Thomas Heyward, inherited White Hall (1, pp. 7, 16).

  • 1829 – Captain Heyward died and it appears White Hall was held in trust for a minor child (1, pp. 7, 16).

  • ? – White Hall remained in the Heyward family until General John Howard bought it from Thomas Savage Heyward (3, p.173).

  • 1885 – The house was severely damaged by a fire. Howard owned the property at this time (3, p.174).

  • 1909 – Howard deeded the property to Harry B. Hollis (1, p. 18).

  • 1910 – Herbert L. Pratt purchased White Hall and consolidated it into Good Hope Plantation (1, p. 18).


  • Number of acres – 800 in 1869 (1, p. 18)

  • Primary crop – Rice (1, p. 8)


  • Number of slaves – 33 in 1782 (1, p. 15)


  • Only ruins of the original plantation house, constructed of brick and tabby, remain (1, p. 5).

References & Resources

  1. National Register of Historic Places
    Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1975
    Photographs, architectural overview

  2. 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
    –  Online Catalog

  3. Robert B. Cuthbert and Stephen G. Hoffius, editors, Northern Money, Southern Land: The Lowcountry Plantation Sketches of Chlotilde R. Martin (Columbia, SC: The University of South Carolina Press, 2009)

SC Plantation Inns
SC Plantation Tours
SC Plantation Pictures
SC Plantations by Place
SC Plantation Weddings

Abbeville County
Aiken County
Allendale County
Anderson County

Bamberg County
Barnwell County
Beaufort County
Berkeley County

Calhoun County
Charleston County
Cherokee County
Chester County
Chesterfield County
Clarendon County
Colleton County

Darlington County
Dillon County
Dorchester County

Edgefield County

Fairfield County
Florence County

Georgetown County
Greenville County
Greenwood County

Hampton County
Horry County

Jasper County

Kershaw County

Lancaster County
Laurens County
Lee County
Lexington County

Marion County
Marlboro County
McCormick County

Newberry County

Oconee County
Orangeburg County

Pickens County

Richland County

Saluda County
Spartanburg County
Sumter County

Union County

Williamsburg County

York County

Flower photographs by Virginia Saunders, Columbia, SC. Please click flower for more info.


Are you able to correct
an error?
Please click here.

is maintained as a public service by

South Carolina

Home Edit Info Contact

HomeCorrect InfoSearchContact