McIllwayne Plantation Lancaster County
- Location South of the city of Lancaster, Lancaster County
- Origin of name For the McIllwayne family who owned the plantation
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1865 Colonel McIllwayne who had served in the U.S. Light Horse Dragoons prior to the Civil War, then in command of a South Carolina regiment owned the plantation. During February or March, a segment of a Union regiment foraged at the plantation. The house was still standing at this time with whom is believed to be Mrs. McIllwayne and daughter residing there (1).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop ?
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Ted Simpson found during his research of the the 21st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment. Sources include:
– Charles Webster Knapp letter dated March 31, 1865
– Booklet, transcribed and published by the 21st Wisconsin Regimental Association from their 1903 reunion of the recollection of events by Private Fred Reitz which would have taken place in late February/early March of 1865