Rose Hill Plantation Wallace Marlboro County
- Location Wallace, Marlboro County
4531 Step Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned (1)
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1827 House built (1)
- ? The Gillespie family acquired the plantation; probably Samuel Wilds Gillespie and/or his wife Harriet Pegues Godfrey Gillespie.
- 1846 Mary Gillespie married Dr. Albert Micajah Shipp and they would come to own Rose Hill Plantation. Dr. Shipp served as the second president of Wofford College (1) (2) (3).
- 1900 Mary Gillespie Shipp died at her beloved plantation. Her husband, Dr. Shipp had died in 1887 (2).
- 2016 John W. and Sara A. Fletcher were owners of record. The Fletchers sold the home in June for $200,000 (1) (4).
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Cyndi Shull from real estate listing: click here
- Highway Marker and Gillespie - Shipp Family Graveyard
- William S. Powel, Dictionary of North Carolina Biography: Vol. 5, P-S
(Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press, 2016)
- Marlboro County Tax Records.