Halfacre Plantation Newberry Newberry County
- Location Cannons Creek, Newberry, Newberry County
Along Highway 219, in the vicinity of Halfacre Road and Clayton Memorial Church Road
- Origin of name Named for the families that owned the plantation
- Other names Piester and Gray Plantation (1)
- Current status ?
- 1752 Earliest known date of existence
George Piester [Gasper Peaster (De Peyster)] received a grant of 200 acres from the Court of King George III. George never saw his land as he died on the passage to American. The land was given to his young son Casper [Gasper Jr] (3 and 4)
George Gray Sr's father had received a 300 acre land grant along Cannons Creek around 1752 that George inherited (5).
- 1795 Casper Priester purchased additional land along Cannons Creek from his half-brother Frederick Gray. This is where Priester's Mill was established (3).
- 1800 Casper Priester sold the land to his brother Adam Priester (3).
- ? Major David Halfacre purchased what was known as the Piester and Gray Plantation and continued production at Piester Mill (1).
- Prior to 1860 House built (1)
Halfacre built a large house that would be known as the Major David and Christina Halfacre home (1).
- 1867 Major Halfacre established the Clayton Memorial Cemetery within view of the house when his young son fell ill. He deeded one acre of the plantation's property specifically for the creation of this cemetery. In 1905, the Clayton Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church, which Halfacre founded in the 1840s, built a church building on this acre (1).
- 1877 Major Halfacre died leaving the homestead to his daughter Lizzie Halfacre Ruff (1).
- ? Lizzie willed the Halfacre property to her daughter Christina Ruff (1).
- ? Christina left the property to her adopted son Doyle Lee Gallman and his wife Mary Nell Wilson Gallman (1).
- Number of acres 200 in 1752 (3)
- Primary crop Lumber
- Chronological list George Piester (1752); Casper Priester (1752-1800); Adam Priester (1800-?); Major David Halfacre (?-1877); Lizzie Halfacre Ruff (1877-?); Christina Ruff (?); Doyle Lee and Mary Nell Wilson Gallman (?)
- Number of slaves ?
- Recently (2013), the remains of the house were torn down. The house had been severely damaged by fire (2).
- In 1905, the Clayton Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church building was built on the cemetery's property using lumber from the sawmill owned by Benjamin Halfacre (1).
References & Resources
- Clayton Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church , Newberry, South Carolina, Church History - PDF
- Information contributed by Nancy L Bickford-Jordan
- George Piester Family
- Re: Nancy J. Piester, Newberry, SC 1814
- Gaspar Gray Family