Moon-Dominick Plantation Chappells Newberry County
— Moon-Dominick Plantation © Bill Fitzpatrick, 2012 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Near Chappells, Newberry County
Newberry County Road 48, approximately 2.5 miles northeast of the intersection with SC Highway 34 (1, p. 1)
- Origin of name For early owners Dr. Peter Moon and John Simpson Dominick (1, p. 1, 7)
- Other names Old Tin House since it is believed to have had the first metal roof in Newberry County (1, p. 1)
- Current status ?
- 1808 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 3)
Grant issued to John Satterwhite, Jr. (1, p. 3)
- 1817 John Satterwhite, Jr. died and left the property to his daughter Susan who was married to Dr. Peter Moon (1, p. 3)
- Circa 1820 House built (1, p. 1)
The Moons built a two-and-one-half story house of heavy-timber, frame construction with a standing seam metal roof which is believed to be first of its kind in Newberry County (1, p. 2).
- 1898 John Simpson Dominick acquired the plantation (1, p. 7).
- Prior to 1982 David Wicker acquired Moon-Dominick Plantation (1, p. 5).
- 1982 The house was under renovation (1, p. 5).
- Number of slaves 88 in 1850 (1, p. 3)
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1982
Photographs, architectural overview