Connor Station Plantation Orangeburg County
— Connor Station Plantation, 1860s © Contributed by Glen Gardner —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
Frederick and Martha Jane Rebecca Mims Connor are in the middle;
Henry Dollason, the plantation's blacksmith, is seated at the left;
Jacob "Buddie" Sylvanus Connor, Fred and Martha's youngest son,
is next to the horse/mule (4)
- Location Orangeburg County
The plantation was originally in Berkeley County, but in 1908 the county lines were redrawn and the plantation became part of Orangeburg County.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1848 Earliest known date of existence
- 1848 House built by Frederick Connor
- 1880s Eutawville Railroad Company built a line through the area. The railroad stopped at Connor's depot three times a day to pick up lumber, bricks, mail and passengers. There was also a post office for the 250 population settlement around the house.
- 1982 The plantation house was lost to fire in May (2) (3).
- 2016 Glen Gardner along with several family members own Connor Station (3).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Rice
- The Connor family silver and three Yankee soldiers are buried on the grounds.
- Number of slaves 28 in 1860 (4)
- The buildings on the land were the cotton gin, brick kiln, saw mill and turpentine distillery.
References & Resources
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Information contributed by Julia Lowery.
- Information contributed by Glen Gardner.
- Information contributed by Connor descendant Martha Rose Brown.