Homefield Plantation Stateburg Sumter County
— Homefield Plantation © Library of Congress —
(Prints & Photographs Division HABS SC,43-STATBU.V,3--1)
- Location Stateburg, Sumter County
- Origin of name Shortly after the Carsons moved to the plantation in the mid-1800s, a minister visited with them. The minister commented that he felt so at home there, he called it "Homefield" and the name stuck (1) (4).
- Other names Carson House
- Current status No longer exists
- 1771 Earliest known date of existence (2, p. 134) (3)
John Jennings Sr. received a royal grant of 250 acres (2, p. 134)
- Circa 1800 Tyre Jennings acquired property. It is assumed Tyre's father, John Jennings Sr., gave him a part of the original grant (2, p. 134) (3).
- 1800 House built (1)
Tyre Jenning began construction on a house. He was secretly hoping to marry Rebecca Darrington. Instead, Rebecca married Tyre's brother and he abandoned construction on the unfinished house (1).
- ? Tyre transferred the ownership of the property to his brother Hastings Jennings (4).
- 1830 or 1850 Elisha Scott and Susan Marsh Carson purchased the plantation from Hastings Jennings and finished the house. They raised their 11 children at Homefield Plantation (1).
- ? Elisha and Susan's son, James Marsh Carson, became owner of the plantation (5, p. 1).
- Prior to 1943 Grace Elliot Carson became owner of her family's homestead. She was the daughter of James Marsh Carson. Grace rented out a portion of the plantation's land (2, p. 134) (4) (5, p. 1).
- Late 1960s Grace Carson was forced to leave Homefield to live at a nursing home. The house soon fell into a state of disrepair (4).
- 1975 The house, having been vandalized, was lost in a fire (1) (4).
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Wilson McElveen.
- Cassie Nicholes, Historical Sketches of Sumter County: Its Birth and Growth
(Sumter, SC: Sumter County Historical Commission 1975)
Order Historical Sketches of Sumter County: Its Birth and Growth
- Genealogy of John Jennings Sr.
- Genealogy of Tyre Jennings
- Plantation records, 1878-1949 (bulk 1878-1889); SCHS 1212.00; Container 24/66 - PDF - held by the South Carolina Historical Society