Orange Grove Plantation Dalzell Sumter County
- Location Gaillard's Crossroads, two miles north Dalzell, Sumter County
Black River Road at Peach Orchard Road (1, p. 1, 5)
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Gaillard-Colclough House (1, p. 1)
- Current status Privately owned
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1842 Samuel Porcher Gaillard purchased the property from J.R.Spann and Hastin Jenning (1, p. 8).
- Circa 1842 Second house built (1, p. 5)
Samuel Porcher Gaillard either constructed a house shortly after he purchased the plantation or one was already on it (1, p. 8).
- 1850 The house was destroyed by fire (1, p. 8)
- 1851 Second house built (1, p. 5)
Samuel Porcher Gaillard constructed a two-and-one-half story house over a basement (1, p. 5, 8).
- 1880 Samuel Porcher Gaillard died and the plantation stayed in the Gaillard family (1, p. 9).
- ? Captain Peter Gaillard resided at Orange Grove (1, p. 9).
- 1902 A part of the plantation, including the house, was sold to William Burrow and Emma Buford Colclough, relatives of the Gaillards, on December 1 (1, p. 9).
- 1920 William Colclough passed away. Emma continued to live and farm Orange Grove with the assistance of her brother (1, p. ).
- 1924 On April 30, Orange Grove was hit by a tornado. The storm tore off the house's roof, half story and most of the second floor. In order to salvage the house, repairs were made to reconfiguring it to a one-and-one-half story house (1, p. 6).
- 1951 Emma Colclough passed away and the plantation was put into her estate (1, p. 9).
- 1953 Julius Elbert Davis, Jr. purchased the plantation from the Colclough estate (1, p. 9).
- 1993 Julius Elbert Davis, Jr. still owned Orange Grove, 40 years after he purchased it (1, p. 9).
- Number of slaves 115 in 1860; 123 circa 1868 (1, p. 9)
- There is a one-story, historic servant's house near the main house (1, p. 7).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1993
Photographs, architectural overview