Springfield Plantation Fort Mill York County
— Springfield Plantation © Bill Fitzpatrick, 2012 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Fort Mill, York County
Located approximately 3 miles north of the Town of Fort Mill on US 21
- Origin of name For the plantation's founder, John Springs III
- Other names ?
- Current status Corporate offices of Leroy Springs & Co. (3)
- 1790 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 3)
John Springs Jr. owned the property (1, p. 3).
- 1806 John Springs III moved to Springfield shortly after his marriage to his cousin Mary Springs (2).
- Circa 1806 House built
John Springs III constructed a two-story frame house (1, p. 2).
- 1853 John Springs III died. His will divided his land holdings among his children with son Andrew Baxter Springs inheriting Springfield Plantation (2).
- 1865 Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, and several members of his cabinet spent two or three days in April at Springfield Plantation durning their retreat south (1, p. 6).
- 1946 Elliott White Springs owned the plantation and modernized the house with electricity, plumbing, and the addition of a kitchen and bathrooms (1, p. 5).
- 1985 Mrs. Anne Springs Close owned Springfield (1, p. 1).
- 1987 Leroy Springs & Co. moved into the house and uses it as corporate offices (3).
- Number of acres Over 3,200 acres in the 1800s; 2.75 in 1985 (1, pp. 4-5)
- Primary crops Grains, cattle (1, p. 3)
- Number of slaves ?
- The original plantation house still stands and has been owned by the Springs family since it was built. The house was remodeled and enlarged in the mid-1800s with electricity and plumbing added in 1946. It is believed to be the oldest wood-fram house in York County (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - submitted in 1985
Photographs, architectural overview
- Springs Family Papers, 1772-1924 - Contributed by April Springs, who is a descendant of a Springfield Plantation slave and that is how her family got their surname.
- Jenny Overman, Project Needs Images of Springfield House - (Fort Mill Times: August 31, 2011)