- Location Okatie River, Okatie, Beaufort County
Original plantation lands were located off SC 170 in the vicinity of present-day Oldfield Golf Club
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Wigg's Bluff, Indigo
- Current status Golf course community
- 1732 Earliest known date of existence
Governor Robert Johnson received a land grant from the Lords Proprietors (Brief history).
- 1752 The property was transferred to Gabriel Manigault (Brief history).
- ? Col. William Hazzard owned the plantation (Brief history).
- 1781 British troops in the area burned the house, but it was later rebuilt.
At this time the property was known as Wigg's Bluff as Edward Wigg had married into the Hazzard family.
- 1862 Union gunboats shelled the house.
- ? Pauline Pratt Webel owned Oldfield along with Goodhope Plantation (Brief history).
- 1972 Robin Carrier purchased the property. She built a Georgian style home which now serves as Oldfield's River Club (Brief history).
At this time the name of the plantation was changed to Indigo.
- 1985 Robin Carrier sold the plantation to a developer from Hilton Head Island who used it for a horse farm (Brief history).
- 1998 Crescent Resources LLC. purchased the property and began to develop it as a golf course community (Brief history).
- 2010 TI Oldfield Development acquired the assets of the development balance of land sites (Brief history).
- Number of acres 927 in 1972; 800 in 2005
- Primary crop ?
- Chronological list Robert Johnson (1732-1752); Gabriel Manigault (1752-?); Col. William Hazzard; Wigg; Pauline Pratt Webel; Robin Carrier (1972-1985); Crescent Resources LLC. (1998-2010); TI Oldfield Development (2010-present)
- Number of slaves ?
- House built in the 1970s is currently used as Oldfield's River Club.
1 Oldfield Way
Bluffton, SC 29909
Telephone: 843-645-4601, Club
Website: Click here
More about Beaufort County
- Learn more about historic Beaufort County, including the lovely town of Beaufort SC as well as Hilton Head. We have helpful guides to Beaufort SC history and Beaufort SC libraries and museums – plus Beaufort SC restaurants, Beaufort SC bed & breakfasts, Beaufort SC hotels, and Beaufort SC real estate.