Zante Plantation Calhoun County
- Location St. Matthews Parish, Calhoun County
Southeast of Fort Motte off off McCords Ferry Road (5)
- Origin of name The name means wooded (1, p. 3).
- Other names ?
- Current status As of 2013, the house has been vacant for some time and left to deteriorate (5).
- 1771 Earliest known date of existence
Peter Manigault purchased the property (1, p. 3).
- 1773 Peter Manigault died leaving his holdings to his sons Joseph and Gabriel Manigault (1, p. 3).
- 1778 The brothers divided their property and Joseph became sole owner of Calhoun County property (1, p. 3).
- 1809 Joseph Manigault sold the property to Major William Elnathan Haskell. The Haskells called the place Zante, meaning wooded (1, p. 3).
Haskell had the house that now sits at Zante moved from a different area of the property (1, p. 3).
- 1810-1820 House built (1, p. 2)
- 1851 The plantation was acquired by the Trezevant family and remained in their ownership until 1975 (1, p. 3).
- 1976 J. D. Wiles was owner of record (1, p. 1).
- 2013 A visitor to the site found a dilapidated house, pictured above (5).
- Alphabetical list Baker, Major William Elnathan Haskell (1809-?), Peter Manigault (1771-1773), Joseph and Gabriel Manigault (1773-1778), Joseph and Gabriel Manigault (1778-1809), Matthews, Trezevant Family (1851-1975), J. D. Wiles (1975-?)
- Number of slaves ?
- The house remained in 1976 but had been damaged by vandals (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1976
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- Daniel Marchant Culler, Orangeburgh District, 1768-1868: History and Records (Spartanburg, SC: The Reprint Company, 1995)
Order Orangeburgh District, 1768-1868: History and Records
- Information submitted by Justice Wheeler