Devil's Elbow Barony Bluffton Beaufort County
Special thanks to Denise Sullivan, a history buff from Dataw Island, for compiling much of the information on this page.
- Location Bluffton, Beaufort County
- Origin of name Due to the elbow shape of the barony's water source from Port Royal Sound, around Spring Island and into the backwaters (2)
- Other names Colleton Neck Barony (2); Okeetee Barony (1, p. 68); Oketee Barony
- Current status Has been subdivided numerous times
- 1718 Earliest known date of existence - Sir John Colleton obtained a 12,000 acre land grant (1, p. 12).
- 1777 Sir John Colleton died. The large land holding had remained together up until his death (1, p. 12).
- ? The Colleton family sold 6,000 acres of the barony (1, p. 68).
- 1828 The Colleton family no longer owned any land from the original land grant (1, p. 68).
Devil's Elbow Barnony would be subdivided many times over the years with several plantations being developed from Sir John Colleton's original grant. These plantations include:
– Belfair Plantation
– Foot Point Plantation
– Rose Hill Plantation
- Number of acres 12,000 acres 1718-1777
- Primary crop Indigo and sea island cotton (1, p. 68)
- Alphabetical list Colleton
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Robert B. Cuthbert and Stephen G. Hoffius, editors, Northern Money, Southern Land: The Lowcountry Plantation Sketches of Chlotilde R. Martin (Columbia, SC: The University of South Carolina Press, 2009)
- Information contributed by Sheryl Magnuson Hamer from Rose Hill Mansion history