Bluff-Wayne Plantation Edisto River Colleton County
- Location Edisto River, St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton County
Off Combahee Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Bluff, Wayne, Pon Pon
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
There is no evidence of a residence at Bluff.
- ? William Elliott owned Bluff Plantation (1, p. 575)
- ? Ann Elliott Morris inherited the plantation from her parents. Her father, William Elliott, died in 1766 (1, p. 575)
- 1850 A public auction was held to sell property owned by Ann Elliott Morris (1, p. 575)
- 1887 Adele Allston VanderHorst sold the Bluff to Julia and Herman Bischoff.
- 1918 The Bischoff family sold the plantation to Pon Pon Realty Company.
- 1929 Pon Pon Realty Company sold to Donald Dodge. This purchase included three plantations (Bluff Plantation, Ashe Plantation and Village Plantation). He named his property Pon Pon.
- ? The Dodge family sold the combined three plantations to George Dean Johnson.
- 2014 George Dean Johnson still owned Pon Pon Plantation. In this same year, Johnson'c company purchased neighboring Hope Plantation for $15 million from Ted Turner (2).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Rice
- Number of slaves ?
We are actively seeking information on the slaves who lived and worked at this plantation. If you find a resource that might help, please fill out this form. Thank you.
References & Resources
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
- Jason Ryan, So You Want to Own a S.C. Plantation? (Columbia, SC: The State, July 12, 2014)