Buckner Plantation Combahee River Colleton County
- Location Chehaw Neck, Combahee River, St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton County
- Origin of name Once owned by the Buckner family
- Other names ?
- Current status Became part of Middleton's Plantation in 1850
- 1762 Earliest known date of existence
Mr. Fletcher was given a grant (2, p. 341).
- ? House built
- ? Mr. Veitch acquired the property (1).
- ? Henry Veitch inherited the property from his father (1).
- 1811 Margaret Morrison Veitch inherited the plantation and 18 slaves (see below for their names) from her husband Henry Veitch upon his death (1).
- 1814 Margaret Veitch married Benjamin Heape Buckner and the plantation was part of her marriage dowry (1).
- 1820 Benjamin and Margaret Buckner sold the property to William Murray (1).
- ? William Murray passed away.
- 1850 Oliver Hering Middleton purchased two tracts, Buckner and Oak Hill, from the heirs of William Murray. Middleton combined these two tracts along with property his wife Susan Chisolm Middleton had inherited to create Middleton's Plantation (1) (2, p. 341).
- Number of slaves 18 in 1811 (1)
Henry Veitch bequeathed his slaves to his wife Margaret at the time of his death. Margaret's marriage dowry to Benjamin Buckner of 1814 listed these slaves:
Stephen, a boy
References & Resources
- Information contributed by Gail Black, a Buckner family descendant; includes documentation held by the South Carolina Historical Society.
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860